The UAW Legal Services Plan is the largest pre-paid legal services program in the country.
Plan staff attorneys are represented by AFSCME and support staff are represented by OPEIU.


The Plan

UAW Legal Services Plan (the Plan) was a program established and operated for the sole purpose of providing personal legal services to eligible Participants for legal problems arising out of the laws in the United States or Canada. The new Legal Services Plan, UAW-FCA-Ford-General Motors Legal Services Plan, is a Taft Hartley Plan created for the purpose of providing office legal work and referral services to certain UAW members. It opened on January 25, 2017. Call 800-482-7700 to request legal services.

General Questions About the Plan 
Who is covered under the Plan?
Approximately 600,000 persons, that are represented by the UAW and are Active workers, Retirees, or Surviving Spouses of:

      General Motors
      UAW employees

How is the Plan financed?
Plan benefits and administrative expenses are paid by FCA, Ford, GM, and UAW. The amount contributed by the companies is established and fixed through collective bargaining.

Who Operates the Plan?
The Legal Services Plan is operated under the authority of one Board consisting of 12 persons -- 6 UAW appointed members, 2 appointed by FCA, 2 appointed by Ford and 2 by GM.   The Board has selected a Director who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Plan.

Who is eligible for Plan benefits?
Eligible participants include:

Employees. Individuals who have 90 days of seniority and who are members of the bargaining unit. Eligibility ends if you have been continuously laid off for more than 24 months.

Retirees: Individuals who were hourly workers represented by the Union and who worked for one of the listed companies and retired with a UAW-Company Pension plan. Persons receiving deferred pension plans are not eligible.

Surviving spouses: Spouses receiving surviving spouse benefits under the Pension of Insurance Plans.

What benefits are offered to Plan Participants?
Under the Legal Services Plan, "office work" legal services are provided for a variety of legal matters such as Wills, Powers of Attorneys, Name changes, Real estate purchases or sales for residential real estate matters, uncontested family matters, credit reporting and questions regarding consumer contacts.   If a matter is not excluded and if it is not entitled to an Office Work benefit, then usually a low cost referral to a private attorney can be provided to the eligible member.

What matters are entitled to fully covered legal services?
  • Suspension or termination of Social Security disability benefits are entitled to full services for Active Workers and Retirees; If your disability arose after you retired, you may believe that you are not eligible for Social Security Disability benefits.   This is incorrect.   The rules for if and when you may be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits are complex.   Call the Plan and an attorney will discuss your situation with you.   

What matters are entitled to the ‘Office Work’ benefit?
  • Wills and Trusts
  • Name Changes;
  • Birth and Marriage certificate;
  • Uncontested family matters;
  • Office work assistance on residential real estate matters;
  • Deeds;
  • Leases;
  • credit reporting and credit problems;
  • Consumer contracts;

What benefits can be provided as part of the Office Work benefit
Examples include:
  • Preparation of legal documents
  • Legal research
  • Factual evaluations;
  • Document review;
  • Telephone calls;
  • Correspondence;
  • Self-help counseling if appropriate.

Are there exclusions from Plan benefits?
Yes. Examples include:
  • Legal services associated with a Participant’s business or rental property;
  • Legal services that are against the member’s employer, or the employer's subsidiaries, dealers or officers or agents;
  • Legal services that are against the Union, its subordinates affiliated bodies, officers, or agents;
  • Fines and penalties;
  • Non-legal costs attendant with the sale or purchase of real estate;
  • Representation of a lender in a real estate matter;
  • Workers compensation or Unemployment benefits involving the member’s employer;
  • Any dispute involving the Plan;
  • Any bankruptcy that would result in a discharge of a debt to the Member’s employer, to the Union or any benefits;

How do I obtain legal services?
If you are the Member and believe that you are an eligible participant of a legal Plan and if you have a legal problem, you should contact the Legal Services Plan by calling:   1-800-482-7700.   When you contact the office, you will be asked for the Member's name and social security number and eligibility will be verified.   The member is the active worker or retiree.   Once eligibility is verified, a case will be opened for you and you will be informed of the coverage level.   If you live in a state where the Plan has a staff office and if the matter is entitled to Office Work services, your case will be assigned to a Plan staff attorney and you will have an opportunity to talk to that attorney.   If you do not live in a state where the Plan has a staff office, then you will be provided with a referral to a Cooperating Attorney.

| the plan | the attorneys | locations | legal faq | comments | about us |
| home | contact us |

copyright 2000, UAW Legal Services Plans.